Thursday, March 22, 2012

Pepper Milk

What you may wonder is pepper milk? It was my childhood creation to down a beverage I otherwise found undrinkable. I hated milk but was obligated to drink it so I figured if I put heaps of pepper in my milk, it would not really taste or smell like milk as much. It was a big hit (with pretty much only me but it worked for me - and it even turns out that a famous French chef used pepper in his ice-cream to make some sort of pepper ice-cream so maybe I was not completely crazy...).

Fast forward almost 30 years - Noah is not very excited about drinking his milk in the morning (well - he wants milk but then gets unhappy when I bring out the cow milk; he gets powdered milk with his fruit snack and a small glass of soy milk with dinner but in the morning he gets fat free cow milk) so I offer to try sprinkling a different condiment in his cup of milk every morning (my last attempt to try cow milk with him as I had promised myself I would never ever force a child of mine to drink cow milk). We started with cinnamon which he seemed to like, then mint flakes, then basil flakes, cumin ... all seemed fine and interesting. Finally I asked him if he wanted to try pepper like his maman when she was little. So in went the heaps of pepper... and he LOVED it. Since then he asks for pepper in his cow milk every morning! This morning he told me (in French). I love pepper. It's spicy. I like spicy things.... my little boy :) (oh and these days apart from the Singaporean chicken rice, he asks for his spinach and goat cheese crepes on a daily basis :) - not that he gets them that often but at least he likes some French dishes even though he is growing up out East).

3 comments:

  1. Comme quoi la pomme ne tombe jamais très loin de l'arbre. Really cute story ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I shouldnt cause trouble by asking why Noah has to drink milk instead of water in the morning? Or by telling him what American kiddos add to their milk to make it taste good? (You know, the "condiment" from hersheys.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Abigail - Noah is very welcome to skip milk in the morning and have some water but he wants milk - the soy milk I find here is rather sweet or undrinkable so I would rather he not have that and he does not really need additional powdered milk... so we settled on cow milk. He also does not need additional chocolate - no wonder US kids have obesity problems!

    ReplyDelete